The Long Weekend

I took an unexpected, unplanned break from the old computer this long, holiday weekend.  We didn't travel, didn't spend all our days at the beach or at BBQs, but I did unplug just a bit.  I'll admit to logging on for a few minutes every now and again, but for the most part, I stayed offline.  I didn't do this intentionally, didn't plan an offline weekend, didn't have to force myself and fight against an urge to connect.  It was natural, it was something that just happened, and that makes it all the better!

So, what did I do for the past 3 days?

* Went to bed early and slept late
* Lounged on the couch
* Got through my stack of unread magazines (mostly just looked at the pictures, but still)
* Read Pride & Prejudice (didn't get too far because of my tendency to...)
* Nap
* Bought an actual Sunday newspaper and enjoyed with a cup of coffee

I also...

* Went to a fabulous museum exhibit, Birth of Impressionism at the DeYoung Museum in San Francisco, and saw paintings by Degas, Renoir, Manet, Monet, Cezanne.  I learned about a Belgian painter from that period, Alfred Stevens, and was quite taken with his painting, The Bath.  I went with a friend I hadn't seen in a few months, who has a new baby boy, and we caught up and talked about life and art, had a leisurely lunch at the museum cafe, and I got to visit her new house and meet her darling baby boy.

Here are my favorites from the show...



Degas, Dance Class


  
                                         Manet, The Fifer              Renoir, The Swing



                                                             Stevens, The Bath


* Went to a 4th of July BBQ/Baby Shower with my husband for his hairstylist.  It was a little odd that we were invited and we didn't know anyone but her, but it turned out to be just fine.  We can both be such non-social people, I'm surprised we didn't actually get all the way there, do a drive-by and decide not to get out of the car!  But we actually went in - heck, I wore my special red, white & blue shirt for the occasion, which I only pull out once a year, so it had to be done - and enjoyed ourselves for an hour or so on Sunday.  We met a lovely couple, the husband was another hair client of her's, and had good conversation and some good food.

* Watched lots of movies.  All About Steve (better than I expected), How to Marry a Millionaire (not as good as I expected, actually I was rather annoyed by it and didn't finish), The Last Airbender (not good at all, but it did start me on the animated series, which is...and I realized I kind of have a thing for Dev Patel) and The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (also better than I expected).

* Did all my scheduled workouts and officially registered for the 2010 NPC Figure Competition in San Francisco on October 2.  I have 3 months to get in tip-top, kick-ass shape!  I had to measure my height and weight for the registration and realized that although I've been saying for years that I'm 5'7" and thinking it was just a slight exaggeration, I'm actually closer to 5'6" than 5'7".  Much closer.  And this is distressing to me for some reason.  I fancy myself tall.  Now, I don't feel so tall!  Silly what 3/4" can do.

Alrighty then, now that we're all caught up....I hope you all had a lovely weekend yourself.  It's back to the routine now after a few lovely, leisurely days.  Off to work I go.

0 comments:

Post a Comment