Almost ready To Do

Slept in a little bit this morning (for me).  I faced no alarm clock, no nagging internal voice; I woke up naturally, at just the right time.  I am now rejuvenated and it is a gorgeous morning, literally and figuratively.

This is a bit of a work weekend.  My library has its annual reading festival this weekend.  Yesterday, the libraries (there are 25 of them) had all kinds of events and as one the three organizers of the Big Event, I drove around with my two colleagues to enjoy some of the festivities the individual libraries presented.  In addition to being colleagues, we're also dear friends, so it was a treat to be able to spend the entire afternoon together, work or not.  It's a little sad to think that this will be the last year we work on this huge project together.  It is what brought us together as friends three years ago and while it is certainly hard work, we look forward to it each year, as it means being able to spend more time together while planning.  Alas, today - our big author event (Dave Eggers.  Awesome!  And a huge deal for us!) - will be our last big hurrah.  And it should be great, so we'll end on a high note.  Or I'll end on a high note.  Most people at work don't know this will be my last year.  But I know.  And my two friends know, so there is a slightly bittersweet taste to the day.  

It feels like one of those big markers.  You know...last time I'll ever do this.  Last time I'll ever do that.  Who knows, maybe one day I'll work in a library in Vienna and organize a reading festival, but I'm thinking that the odds of that are rather slim! And, honestly, I'm not sure I would want to do that, even if I could.  I think it might be time to do something new and different.  Not that I won't capitalize on my library skills and education if it'll get me a job in Vienna, but any library work I can foresee will be more corporate, research-based and less public library work.  

And, ack, here comes the nagging voice....what about work, Carrie?  Have you looked into it recently?  What ARE you going to do?  How ARE you going to make a living, legally?  Is it even possible?  It is one of the many items on a very long To Do list for Vienna.  I started the list last weekend.  And now I have a nice list.  But I have to start doing things.  My husband and I set ourselves a timeline for one of the projects - selling our furniture on Craigslist so that we can downsize apartments.  Step One.  We were going to have everything posted by the end of the week.  Last week.  And somehow, here we are, Sunday, the beginning of a new week, and we still haven't done it.  What are we thinking?  

I have/we have GOT TO get our game on if this is really going to happen.  I swear.  This week.  That big To Do list.  Game on.  (It's got to be.)  

3 comments:

lifeaustria | June 6, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Hi,
Your blog is so nice, humm anamericangirlmovestovienna.blogspot.com ? Don't you think that's too long url? how about short url like "lifeaustria.com" ? Yep, I'm selling it for cheap as US $ 69
If you're interested contact me (visit: lifeaustria.com )

Thanks. :)

{Actually your URL is too much long, you may miss many visitors, also your friends may have difficulties memorizing and typing to reach ur site.)

Anna C | June 7, 2010 at 1:14 PM

I would start to look as soon as you can into work.

Check out the following links:http://www.virtualvienna.net/career/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1

www.jobpilot.at

www.monster.com

www.karriere.at

www.jobwohnen.at

and as soon as you are in Vienna sign up with Manpower, Powerserv and other agencies that help you find work (you pay nothing for that)

We also have WCN (Women´s Career Network) where we have career club as well as meetings with professional women (in english) so you can learn a lot from that.

You could also try contacting some of the bookstores or something, see if they are interested? (especially the english ones)

Just ideas, better to be ready. Otherwise you can always work part time at bars like 1516 or perhaps the embassy (they could help you find work).

Caroline | June 8, 2010 at 5:49 AM

Great resources and ideas, Anna! Thank you!

Post a Comment