The Turning Point

Yup, she did it again!  For those who have been reading An American Girl for a bit, you'll know that this is the second layout change I've made since the blog's creation.  And for those of you who have recently found me, there's my admission ~ this is the second layout change I've made since the blog's creation!

WHY, you ask?  Or, maybe you don't really care, but I'm going to explain anyway.  It'll make me feel better.

As interesting and colorful as the most recent layout was, it was, quite frankly, a bit too frou-frou for me (frou-frou being one of my husband's favorite descriptive terms.  I like it).  From the moment I switched to it, I longed to go back to a clean, white, minimalist look, something a little more mature, professional.  But, I feared being too much the flake so I thought I'd sit with it.

Today, though, I find myself at a turning point.  The turning point being the moment at which I moved from "...hmmmm my hubby and I think we'd like to move to Vienna and we'll see what happens," to "Alright folks, we're moving to Vienna!"  It's time to get serious and kick this game into high gear!

Which seemed the perfect time to go back to a more suitable look.

What you see today is just the beginning of a new format and new approach.   There will be much to come, starting with a new title design and header (I need husband's help with that, though, so it's not ready today), pages devoted to major topics, a countdown to the move, once it's scheduled.   Who knows what else I'll come up with.

As the decision to move is now official, I am officially declaring myself a serious blogger.  Not only is An American Girl a fascinating a fun way to chronicle the experience, but it is also a serious endeavor to expand my network, make even more connections, ask  questions, gain insights and practical information.  And, lest I forget, part of this venture is to practice writing and shift my focus to that creative (and perhaps someday financially-lucrative) endeavor.

Until today, it was mostly fun.  Somewhat serious, but mostly fun.
Now, it is totally serious.  And totally fun! 


8 comments:

rockinkez | May 23, 2010 at 1:28 AM

its looking great already!

Anonymous | May 24, 2010 at 2:33 AM

It looks nice. :) I like that picture. KP

Anonymous | May 24, 2010 at 5:35 AM

Hallo!

I hope some of my suggestions have been helpful to you. That is my goal.:)

I have lived in Slovakia, but Slovakia isn’t Austria and thus this leads to a few questions for you. As you know, I’m planning on moving to Vienna myself and any information you could share would help.

Basically, what are the steps the Austrian government has told you to take to live and work there long term? Have they been helpful and supportive?

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Cheers!
Kerry

Caroline | May 24, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Yes, Kerry, your comments and suggestions have been very helpful! We haven't actually spoken with anyone in the Austrian government yet, but have been researching the steps online. I'll post a few of the helpful sites we've found thus far in the Vienna, Moving, Writing, Other links section of my blog. We're lucky that there is an Austrian Consulate in San Francisco, so we're going to make an appointment soon to speak with someone in more detail. I'll let you know what we learn from that.

P.S. - I'm currently reading "Embers" and actually must go because I'm at a crucial point in the story and can't wait until pre-bedtime reading time to get back to it! Thanks for the recommendation

Caroline | May 24, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Kerry, again (sorry, I should have been more specific in the previous comment). Check out, Wien.at - Residence Titles... and Embassy of Austia links, if you haven't already found them yourself. My guess is that our conversation with the consulate will be most helpful!

Anonymous | May 25, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Hallo,

Thank you. I'm glad you're enjoying 'Embers'. I literally couldn't put it down. I just had to find out what the event the author kept referring to was. Great literary device! I think it took me all of two days to finish it. Yes, I have looked at the Austrian Embassy site about two weeks ago (and saw the fact that they did talk about it, what to do), but before I got into that more, I wanted to hear someone's real life experience with it. Sometimes that can be quite different, and I'm a people person. Let's stay in touch. I hope we can meet when you come for your more permanent stay. :) I'm also interested in hearing your reaction to the conclusion of 'Embers', a reaction that I hope you will post at your blog. Here. Where the people can see it. Including me.

Bis spater!
Kerry (who lives in the shadow of the Carpathians when the sun goes down)

Anonymous | May 27, 2010 at 4:27 AM

I like the new look! Keep up the good work!

Christina Schweighofer | May 27, 2010 at 1:08 PM

New life, new look. Makes sense to me. The last layout had a lot of character. This seems less emotional, more rational - a good fit for a move to Europe, which likes to see itself as reason and enlightenment incarnate... (an illusion, of course).

Post a Comment