the treadmill : today's "place to be"


It's Sunday and Sunday is pretty much a non-training day for me.  My Sunday "workout" is to go for a walk of at least 1 hour in length.  Not bad, eh!  Usually, I take advantage of this "easy" day and take a Sunday stroll around the neighborhood, I wander rather leisurely, I make phone calls while I'm strolling and catch up with family and friends.

Just didn't seem like enough this morning, though.  I woke up feeling not so great in my little noggin.  Nothing terrible or earth shattering, but just one of those unmotivated, uninspired mornings.  I had a good cup of coffee and tried writing in my journal.  eh.  Tried writing a blog post.  eh.  Perfect time for my Sunday walk - get the blood flowing, clear my head.  I started to get ready for my stroll, but was still feeling, eh.  As strange as it may sound, what with all the dang training I'm doing, I actually felt unfit this morning.  A little full, flabby (what did I eat yesterday, sheesh) and, well, I guess I was just a bit down.  Somehow a leisurely Sunday stroll through the neighborhood just didn't seem serious enough.

So, off to the gym I went to spend an hour on the treadmill.  Walking, mind you - not running, not biking, just walking.  Egads, I thought, this is going to be boring. B.O.R.I.N.G.  Well, boring though it may be, I though, I needed the intensity of the machine, I needed it to be an intentional workout, so I went.

I was wrong.  I was wrong, wrong, wrong.  Boring?  Nope.  Quite the contrary.  With no distractions, no phone calls, no yards to peek in, my little noggin started whizzing, zinging, having thoughts, making connections.  My head turned upside down, blah to yea!  Inspiration and ideas for a new project I'm thinking about appeared seemingly out of nowhere.  Since our decision to be more flexible on the Vienna move, I realized that I want to still blog, but feel too constrained by the title and format of what I've created here (no surprise to those who've been following along in the past few weeks).  So, I've been toying with the idea of creating a sister blog/alternate blog/blog in place of An American Girl and trying to think about what I would want to do with that.  I've had major brain stall, though, and have been mentally frustrated about the whole thing.  But this morning, on the treadmill, obviously today's place of power for me, the connections and ideas and thoughts started flowing.  What a relief!  What a great feeling!

An hour went by far too quickly.  I think I may go back.

2 comments:

rockinkez | August 23, 2010 at 5:33 AM

yay for you!

Carolyn | August 29, 2010 at 4:01 AM

going to workout ALWAYS makes me feel better...and always get my creative juices flowing again. sometimes i want to write about other things, but feel weird writing about interior design or something on an expat blog.

Post a Comment