Today's connection to Vienna


The dessert table at my friend's wedding






was inspired by a scene in Sofia Coppola's movie Marie Antoinette.



click HERE to watch the scene




Maria Antonia Josepha Johanna, who became known as Marie Antoinette when she moved to France and married Louis XVI, was originally from Austria.   






She was the youngest daughter of Francis I, the Holy Roman Emperor, and Maria Theresa, Queen of Hungary and Bohemia and ruler of the Hapsburg dominions.

Madame Antoine, as she was known in the Austrian court, was born at the Hofburg Palace in Vienna in 1755





and spent much of her childhood at the royal family's summer palace, Schloss Schönbrunn, built at the outskirts of Vienna.







I visited both palaces when we were in Vienna earlier this year, but just wandered around the outsides.  I'm saving the full tours for our return to the city. 








2 comments:

kate wiseman | August 3, 2010 at 1:19 AM

The tours are awesome!! They are totally worth the price of admission... you learn so much about the families. I recommend doing the Hofburg Imperial Apartments/Sissi tour before the Schonbrunn tour. The Hofburg tour is really thorough and really clear, and it gives a really good background before going to Schonbrunn.

Caroline | August 5, 2010 at 5:24 AM

I am dying to go! It wasn't high in my husband's list of to-do's when we were there earlier - so much to see, so little time, on a budget - but I am excited. It's definitely MY thing and will be near the top of my to-do list as soon as we arrive in the city.

Post a Comment