Places I've Been








2% - seems so sad!

One of the many reasons my husband and I want to move to Europe, and to Vienna, specifically, is that we see it as a launching pad of sorts. A home that provides close proximity and easy travel to so many other countries. A way for us to not only experience life in a new place, but life in many new places.

Vienna seems quite central, offering exploration opportunities East, West, North, and South by car, by train, by plane, at reasonable travel rates. All evidence I've seen in reading people's blogs and stories we've heard from people we've actually met indicate that people do actually take advantage of their location. I hear and read about travels to France and Spain, Kosovo and Sweden, Germany, Italy, Turkey!

This stirs in me such a sense of possibility and curiosity, which is, I admit, not an expected response from me. But it is there, nonetheless, surprising no one more than me. I am more of a homebody, not an adventurer. I like the familiar, the expected, the planned. So, is it wishful thinking that I'll experience the world from Vienna or does this curiosity indicate that I find the world as a whole, or even just Europe, more interesting than I find the United States?

3 comments:

Viajera | July 12, 2010 at 1:00 PM

I'm a homebody also, and from my travels I can definitely say that while I love my "home fries", travelling opens up the world for us.

I think that you will definitely have a wealth of experiences which will be different from those in your home country. You will also find a lot of similarities, some of which will be more surprising.

As to whether or not any of these will be more "interesting" than what happens in your life in the States, I think that only you and time will tell.

I'm not sure if it will be the same for you, but I know that once I am in Europe, for the short term, I will not be experiencing everything that is in proximity since I will be hoardiing my pennies. :) I will travel, but until I find a job, I won't be gadding all over Europe and Africa.

Christina Schweighofer | July 13, 2010 at 9:07 AM

What a cool tool the travel map is! Thanks for linking to it. Vienna is the perfect choice for a base camp, and you will see Europe if you want to. It doesn't have to be expensive either. Friends from Florida came to visit last week. They saw Vienna and they made it to Italy and Switzerland - all on a budget, taking the night trains, thereby paying for trip and accomodation in one.

Moll | July 13, 2010 at 2:11 PM

What a cool map! I totally want to do this. But I can already tell by looking at your map that I will likely fall into the 2% category as well.

Post a Comment