To blog or not to blog....

that is the question.  

I haven't yet decided if I'll be blogging while on our trip, but I have decided to not make the decision until I'm there.  If it makes sense, if it fits in the flow of things, I shall.  If it becomes a task with that "must do" air about it, I shan't.

Truth is, I'm hoping for the former.  I'm hoping that there is a natural break, a natural down-time for reflecting, writing, sharing the experience.  I love reading about other people's experiences in their blogs when they're on the road ~ sharing photos, impressions, experiences, feeling their enthusiasm and living vicariously.  But, another truth is that previous, somewhat-relevant experience (bringing a journal with me on trips to write and reflect for myself) has not resulted in many, if any, filled pages.

So ~ we're packing the laptop (note to self: go to Radio Shack today to buy power adapter today) and we'll see what happens.  Stay Tuned!

Oh ~ and we don't actually leave until tomorrow night, so this will likely not be my last post before departure.

3 comments:

Anonymous | May 2, 2010 at 3:06 AM

Gruss Gott American Girl,

I think it's great what you and your new hubby are doing ! The art in Vienna is fantastic; in fact the whole city is loaded with it! Probably, you've got everything figured out by now, but if not here is a suggestion. Go to the St. Stephen's Dom (the Cathedral at the stop Stephansplatz) in the centre on the subway. Nearby is the state opera and the museum quarter, all in walking distance. There are also Roman ruins right under the street nearby as well as the underground burial chamber for the Habsburg Royals (Marie Antoinette would be there, as her sisters are ... but you know the story) and not too far by subway in the Augarten is a massive WWII anti-aircraft tower in the middle of a palace garden. You like, quirky, well, there you go! They turned it into an outdoor cafe and I think on weekends it's a disco. If I recall, it's called the bunker. People go jogging in the palace gardens. Very cool!!! Outside the city is the Friedhof der Namenlosen from the movie Before Sunrise; go there and marvel at how they filmed it without showing the ugly industrial site nearby. Unfortunately, someone has made off with Elisabeth's #36 name marker (the forever 13-year-old girl in the movie). I was upset by that. If you want to visit it, go to Simmering on the Subway line U3. Be prepared to take a bus, maybe two, and then a short walk. I'm sure the information people in the city or at the stations can give you some instructions. It should take you about an hour to get out there. The city is very safe, and famous for that very feature. Unlike New York City (which claims to be safe LOL, Wien really is ! ) Have a good time ! Kerry Philpott (Uni Wien network Facebook)

Caroline | May 2, 2010 at 5:08 PM

This is fantastic, fun info, Kerry. Thanks!

Anonymous | May 2, 2010 at 10:33 PM

You are welcome. I'll let two of my faves speak for me:

'Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You’re off to Great Places!
You’re off and away!'

(Dr. Suess)


'It's your show, it's your ride!'

(Katherine Hepburn, in Holiday, 1938)

Wishing all the best, :)
Kerry

Post a Comment